Adventures of a University Finalist

Friday, November 12, 2004

The Gayeity of Life

Craig Charles has just put 'I Want You' by Marvin Gaye on the radio and I am truly stunned at its absolute wonderfulness. All is forgiven, Craig. Yes, even your awful, awful stand up routines and poetry. The track even almost manages to surpass 'Just to Keep You Satisfied' in its brilliance and it has suddenly become clear to me why Todd Rundgren included the song as one of his live staples. Not really good enough to result in my paying the extortionate fees asked for a couple of alternate versions of the "Deluxe Edition". Why do they release these useless collections that wish to only impart more cash from the Baby Boomer CD buyers with too much cash and too little brains to realise that Peter Frampton wasn't relevant in the first place let alone now. Oooooh, three alternate vocal versions of the same song! Result!
Although, there are exceptions to the rule such as the Deluxe Edition of 'New Miserable Experience' by the
Gin Blossoms that includes live performances, rare EPs, covers.. the veritable works. The Legacy Edition of 'Sweetheart of the Rodeo' and 'Second Winter' look superb as well. Shame that they require imparting twenty quid for your troubles. Mmmmm, a live version of 'Tobacco Road' by Johnny Winter. I'm drooling at the thought of it. Maybe when I get my degree... although that's not stopping me from buying a couple of cheap Marvin Gaye albums off Amazon! 'Here, My Dear' for a fiver. That, my friends, is a bargain.