Adventures of a University Finalist

Saturday, December 18, 2004

Is it Hewey, Huwie or Huey?

Hello readers, it's my Gene Siskel impersonation today! No, I'm not pretending to be dead but rather do a small movie review of the 70's classic Silent Running. I've meant to watch it ever since Dad told me about it around six years ago mainly due to the fact that it contains three robots called Huey, Duey and Louey. And the man who shot John Wayne in the back: Bruce Dern. I must say that I rather enjoyed it and despite its obvious dated appearance I became very accustomed to the cute lil' midgets walking around with cardborad boxes on their heads. Not much happens and the score is awful (Joan Baez caterwauling through some form of overzealous protest song about trees and flowers) but Dern manages to carve out a surprising amount of depth from what is a rather one-dimensional character. The poker scene, despite the fact that it contains a man and two mute robots, has so many glistening touches and such a delightful sense of humour that it has to be one of the best that I've seen in a while. The ending is heartbreaking and I feel that if you find the DVD on the cheap you should sample its wonders. Why did people, such as a certain Mr Knowles, lavish such praise on the massive dog turd unveiled by Soderbergh known as Solaris and such a gorgeous film as this must remain a cult. Maybe its due to the film's quiet atmosphere and unassuming nature. Maybe it's because the main character is called "Freeman Lowell". I never understood 2001 either but at least that had an artistry to it that can never be denied.
However, what is with 70's trailers? Why put them on the DVDs? They are abysmal. I had to turn off the DVD player halway through Silent Running's before it (i) gave away the entire plot (ii) made me rip the speakers out of my TV or (iii) blinded me with its gaudy subtitles. *Sigh*
Today has been very unproductive except from the sending of my present to my girlfriend and a card to my ex. The Christmas shopping is now complete as well although I will still probably be dragged out shopping. I now have a large dislike for the overpriced nature of the high street and feel the urge to run into the welcoming arms of eBay and the Amazon Marketplace forever. Two rare Silver Sun albums for eight quid. That, my dear readers, is a bargain. You should try it yourself some time.