Adventures of a University Finalist

Thursday, October 13, 2005

Celebrating the Songs That Got Me Here In the First Place

Bee

Guided By Voices - Much Better Mr Buckles
16 Horsepower - Clogger
J Mascis and the Fog - Does The Kiss Fit?
The Sundays - Wild Horses
Neu! - Super

Hello everybody! Went off back to Durham for a couple of days hence the lack of music. However, I have come back in the mood to celebrate my one year anniversary as a blog entity! Woo. Admittedly, the music didn't turn up until Gene Vincent shook his gimp leg in March but I'm still very proud that I've been able to stick it out. Thanks go to anyone who feels a warm feeling in their belly upon reading this sentence. You deserve the praise... or you have heartburn. You decide.
The platitudes will cease there though as I wish to get straight back to the music at hand. All of the above heavily effected my early musical development in that comforting womb which is the teenager's bedroom. Both GBV and The Sundays were very early favourites of mine back from the days of Buffy and Audiogalaxy's reign. 'Do the Collapse' was bought for a bargain price attached in a twofer with the import only 'Isolation Drills', and I spent at least six months not realising that 'Wild Horses' was originally by the Stones. Ah, youthful naivete, where art thou now in this time where knowledge is often ghastly and unwelcome? The German synth bastards that were Neu became a brief fascination of mine following a well chosen perusal of the Rough Guide of Rock and a quick dip into Audiogalaxy's deeper than indigo vaults. It never mattered that three of the songs on the album were the same one at slightly different speeds (have always wondered what Super 78 would sound like at 78 speed: short is the first word that springs to mind). 16 Horsepower first entered my life after a bargain basement trawl at the CD store near where my virgin job was situated. Following the opening of 'Clogger', I would never look back except with a shake of the head and a hand outstretched to the lyric sheet. My thoughts of J Mascis as a hero have since been relatively dashed by a viewing of the new Dinosaur Jnr and his excellent impersonation of a bloated corpse that's just been fished out of the Hudson but this song, probably the only great love song he's ever written, goes some way to redeeming such apprehensive thoughts. Feedback as a melodic enterprise was something that I would never ever understand until I first listened to 'More Light' with its title track once desribed as "armagedddon in a wind tunnel".
The beginnings of Kraftwerk, Bob Pollard twice (he's a member of The Fog), Harriet Wheeler singin' the Stones, and a Preacher who went the wrong way at Bob Johnston's crossroads; I was pretty lucky in my infancy wasn't I? Bon appetit.

Buy - Guided By Voices - Do the Collapse
Buy - 16 Horsepower - Secret South
Buy - J Mascis and the Fog - More Light
Buy - Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Album
Buy - Neu! - Neu! 2